Hi there! You may have noticed that I’ve decided to revive my blog after a very long hiatus! I’ve had lots of life changes – new job, new city, new everything pretty much. I’m loving my life living in downtown Cincinnati. I live right next to a big city park in a neighborhood where there’s always something to do!
I took a really long break from sewing clothes. I have a very small apartment, and only recently got my sewing space set up (and it’s still in my kitchen, but I’m making it work!) And then Covid happened, so I pretty much only sewed masks. With things opening back up again in Ohio I realized that I had basically two pairs of pants and only three dresses in my wardrobe.
I got online and started reconnecting with the online sewing community. Wow – it’s changed so much while I was away! When I was last sewing there were only a few Indies, and now they are everywhere! There are also more independent shops to buy fabric from, which is great because my local selection isn’t amazing. I’m so inspired by the community on social media (you can find me on Instagram as Stitchywitchcreates) and blogs.
So here I am – ready to sew my way to a new wardrobe again! I’m going to use this space to document my plans and my sewing discoveries as I go along. I’d also like to make a quilt perhaps and knit some cardigans. Mostly I’d like to be engaged in the act of creating. My job is creative, but in my downtime I really need to create something tangible. It’s been way too long since I’ve felt engaged in the art of making something for its own sake.
So to start? A pair of culottes.
I bought some tencel twill from an Etsy shop in a deep navy. The price was good, but the edges of the fabric look like it was cut off the bolt with hedgeclippers – I would definitely not recommend. The fabric is nice though, with a great drape. I cut up a rtw top from my closet for pocket fabric, as I didn’t have enough of the main if I wanted to make view B (the medium length above.) I’ve never been one for making a ton of separates, but they are greatly needed in my wardrobe – here’s hoping they fit well!
I cut the waistband in between the size 14 and 16, then graded down to a 12 for the hips. I know the pattern says to just choose off waist size, but I was really worried about them being huge everywhere else. The fabric has a few strange marks on it, so I’m going to consider this a (hopefully!) wearable muslin.
Pattern: The Sagebrush top from Friday Pattern Company
Fabric: Mint gingham in a poly/cotton blend
Notes: It seems that all the garments in the shops this year are extra voluminous. I love girly details and ruffles, but I’ve generally stayed away from puff sleeves. I ran across this pattern on sale online and decided to give it a try in some inexpensive fabric. I made some modifications, but I think I like it!
My main modification was to reduce the length of the sleeves by 1.5 inches. They were just too much for me, but I think that probably depends on body type. I already have broad shoulders, so it wasn’t working for me proportion wise. Other than that, the pattern is basically as written. I cut a straight size medium, and it fits great in the shoulders and chest (I’m a 34 C/D bra size, depending on the brand and I didn’t need any adjustments.)
I love the deep hem and the bias bound neckline that extends into ties in the back. I think this will look really cute with a high-waisted skirt or pants, something I don’t currently own but am working to make!
I think it looks more broad in the photo above than in real life. My boyfriend is my photographer, and he’s nearly a foot taller than me! Here is a mirror photo for a more straight on look:
I’d recommend this pattern, especially to those looking to add elastic and ruffling to their skills. The instructions were very good, and the finish inside is clean. I also think it would be very cute hacked into a dress with some tiered layers!
I finished another new dress! I’m so enjoying working on new makes these days. This one cheers me up just looking at the fabric, so that’s a win in my book!
Pattern: Glenelly top and dress from Itch to Stitch.
Fabric: Knit blend from JoAnn’s
Notes: It’s been years since I sewed anything using a knit fabric, but when I saw this pattern I knew immediately that I had the perfect fabric!
I cut a straight size eight, which matched my measurements. After completing the dress, I feel that I probably should have sized down for the waist. The shoulders were a pretty good fit. I used the standard sized pieces and have a C cup bust.
The instructions were very clear. I didn’t follow all of them, but I think they were solid. I opted not to stabilize the corners of the neckline with interfacing, and as you can see it turned out fine.
I also didn’t stabilize the waist with stay tape, though I did use clear elastic. The waist is pretty loose, and is definitely the main thing I would change if I sewed this again.
I took two inches off the hem to get the length I wanted.
Overall this turned out very cute, and it was easy to sew! I liked that the pattern told you what seams would be best to serge and where to use a narrow zigzag. I definitely plan to give the top a try!