Sorry I’ve been MIA for a few days – we visited my in-laws in Cincinnati, and I’ve been fighting off a sinus infection. I’m finally feeling almost better, and I’m anxious to get back to my sewing room! I can’t seem to organize my thoughts, so here is a convenient list of all the random creative things I’m thinking of lately.
– Self-stitched September is almost here! Just to review, my version of the pledge says that I will wear something I’ve made every day, but every item I’m wearing doesn’t have to be handmade – I simply don’t have enough basics to make it through a month that way. It’s going to be hard enough making it with this version (I think that come weekends I will get sad that I never made casual clothes.)
– I’m joining the Lady Grey sewalong at Gertie’s blog. I’m very excited yet intimidated. I have an obsession with coats, and the idea of making my own appeals to me greatly.
– Fashion Fabrics club has a pretty good sale on right now – most of their wools and cottons. I find ordering from them a bit like fabric roulette, as the descriptions are lousy and the photos are tiny. But – if you watch other fabric sites you can often find really nice fabrics for a fraction of their cost elsewhere. I bought the fabric for Butterick 5490 from them for some ridiculously cheap amount, because they had mislabeled it as a cotton (instead of a cotton/silk blend, which is what it definitely is.) I ordered 2 knit prints, a tweed suiting, and a nice cotton print for under $60. We’ll see how I like them when they show up in a month (yes, the shipping is painfully slow, but I can be patient when I’m getting something for $4 a yard instead of $18.)
– I had a few readers ask me for a review of the websites I’ve ordered from… would that be helpful? I order almost all of my fabric, since I have no good local sources, so I’ve ordered from a bunch, some multiple times. If it would be helpful I can write a post.
– I haven’t sewn at all since Friday, since I can’t decide what to make next. I think I may make the 60s style suit I posted about recently… I just need to get some motivation!
– I have gotten my copies of all the fall fashion magazines, and I must say that I’m glad this is a year where things I like to wear are in style – full skirts, high waisted wide leg pants etc… hooray for that!
– I actually went clothes shopping this weekend – my denim situation was dire, so I forced myself to buy some new jeans and black dress pants at NY&Co. I also tried on some of the newer pants trends. Let me tell you, I’m thinking that skinny jeans and jeggings are trends that I will not be taking part in. Who does this look good on? Not me… makes my hips look wide as a house. I’ll stick to my bootcuts, thanks. I might buys some straighter jeans to wear tucked into boots, but then again maybe not… I have a hard time finding any that I like!
– More later, when I can organize my thoughts!