crafts · knitting

FO: Blithe

Pattern: Blithe by Kim Hargreaves, from Breeze

Yarn: Rowan 4-ply cotton in Aubergine,, a little over 4 balls

Needles: US 0

Notes: I wanted to make Blithe from the first moment I saw the pattern appear as a kit.  Alas, the lousy exchange rate and shipping tempered my enthusiasm.  So I when I saw it was being released in Breeze, there was no question what I was going to make first.

I think I knit with few alterations to the pattern.  I didn’t change needle sizes for the hemline or sleeves, and I’m glad I didn’t (since I was knitting on size 0s anyway, I figured it would make little difference.)  I knit the body to 15″, and I think that is the length called for in pattern, or close to it.  It could be longer, but it’s fine as is.  I did add one extra set of waist shaping pairs.

I found a few things confusing about the pattern.  First of all, I somehow knit too many buttonholes, and ended up only using every other one and calling it a design element.  And then one of the fronts has less stitches than the other, and yet just said “reverse shaping other side.”  I winged it, but I wasn’t happy about the way it was worded.   I knit the sleeves as written and they fit me fine, but they are small… be aware and knit more if needed.

But anyway… I love this sweater!  I think it’s so flattering and I love the pretty color!  My tension was pretty awful on the back, but oh well – I can’t see it when I’m wearing it!  I am so happy that I finally got to make my Blithe!