crafts · finished objects · knitting

FO: Amelia


Pattern: Amelia by Laura Chau, Knitty Winter 08/09

Yarn: Madelinetosh worsted in Malechite, about 4 skeins

Needle: US 7

Notes: Really, I am happier than I look in the photos – this is what results from trying to take outside photos when the temperature is below freezing!  My camera appears to be unhappy as well (I want to replace it soon anyway…)

This pattern was very well written.  Every step was explained, and I found no errors.  I knit the 2nd size (34) a little tight to get a 33″ bust (no ease.)   I did not change needle sizes for the garter stitch sections, because I didn’t want the flare, and I think I’m pleased with that decision.  I did have to alternate skeins, which I was rather unthrilled with – I don’t think this yarn has dyelots, so two of my skeins were much darker.  I didn’t alternate for the sleeves, which looks fine in my opinion.

The yarn itself was fine – not exceptional, but soft and warm.  It did grow lengthwise quite a bit when washed.  I was happy about this, because as written I feel this sweater is a bit short.  Even now I would really like at least another inch of length to be happy with it.  This is a disadvantage of knitting bottom up.  And now comes the part where I complain about knitting sweaters this way.  It took me (according to Ravelry) just shy of a month to knit this thing, which you must know is a long time for me to toil on a simple sweater in worsted weight.  But there were whole weeks where I didn’t want to pick the thing up, so who knows how long I actually worked on it.  I’m glad it’s finished, but I think maybe it’s time to admit to myself that I need to convert this sort of sweater to flat knitting.

Other notes… the sleeves are a bit big for me.  I did not need nearly so much shaping.  The twisted ribbing is pretty, but it did kill my hands a bit, so I would consider whether you like twisted ribbing before deciding to make this sweater.  The fronts want to curl in – I blocked the heck out of them, and they are holding, but I fear they will begin to curl in again over the course of the day.  I would do more stitches in garter, which would solve this problem.  It might have happened because I was carrying yarn up the fronts, which caused a slip stitch edge.

I am happy enough with the finished project and I expect it will see plenty of wear, but I’m going to have to get over my annoyance with the process first… which I hasten to stress is not the designer’s fault, it was mine for refusing to admit my own preferences.

We are dealing with very unusually cold temperatures here.  At around 5 AM Friday we lost power due to a huge fire on Bardstown road, and didn’t get it back until after 11 am.  As a result the temperature in our house went down to 40, and the pipes leading to our dishwasher froze and burst.  Fortunately, they were quickly isolated, and our other pipes are fine.  We are having one of Marc’s friends who is a plumber come over to fix them on Tuesday.  I am only grateful that the damage was not worse – I hear from my neighbors that there were very many frozen pipes around here, as a good swath of the Highlands lost power.   I know temperatures have been cold everywhere lately, so I hope you are all keeping warm and safe!