crafts · finished objects · knitting

FO: Clementine Shawlette

Pattern: Clementine Shawlette, from Interweave Knits, Spring 2007

Yarn: RYC Silk Wool DK in Porcelain, 4.2 skeins

Needles: US 6

Notes: I’ve been on a bit of a shawl kick lately, having finished more in the last 2 months than in my entire knitting career. I loved this shawl when it first appeared in IK, but I had my doubts about the usefulness of the shape. Recently, casting about for a project to carry with me to Chicago, I decided to give this a try, using some RYC Wool Silk DK that has been in my stash for over a year. It was ok, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t buy it again – I think it’s pricey for what youg et.

I started out using size 5 needles, but I was unhappy with the way the yarn felt using size 5s, so I restarted using size 6 needles. As a result, this shawl is 4 inches wider than the pattern specs. I’m happy about this, because I questioned how useful the original size would have been. I shortened each piece by 3 inches, because I have small shoulders, and I’m happy with the resulting size.

Now let’s talk about the grafting, a source of much discussion on Ravelry.  I’m pretty comfortable with kitchener stitch, so I didn’t try any special grafting tricks.  I did end my pattern repeats after row 2, so that I could get a smoother graft.  I grafted from the front of the piece.  It took about half an hour, and I’m happy with the result.  It isn’t invisible of course, but no graft would be, and I’m happy that it looks ok.

The best part is that it matches one of my favorite dresses, and camouflages that the top of the dress is a bit too big – yay!